King Charles III’s coronation is exactly a month away, slotted to take place on Saturday, May 6. For weeks, media outlets and the internet alike have been speculating whether or not Charles’ youngest son Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle will fly over from California to attend. Their rep gave the BBC a statement this week on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision: They have not yet made one. The spokesperson told the outlet, there was “no update on whether they were attending,” the BBC wrote.
Harry and Meghan’s non-decision comes shortly after Harry was in London for a lawsuit against the Daily Mail’s publishers, Associated Newspapers Ltd, in late March.
In his witness statement, he spoke out against the royal family’s handling of the British press, revealing he felt the institution withheld information from him regarding his phone being hacked by The Sun‘s publishers.
“The Institution was without a doubt withholding information from me for a long time about NGN’s phone hacking [News Group Newspapers, the publisher of The Sun] and that has only become clear in recent years as I have pursued my own claim with different legal advice and representation,” he said.
He added that what he learned when he stepped back from his senior royal family role and relocated to the U.S. was eye-opening. “It is not an exaggeration to say that the bubble burst in terms of what I knew in 2020 when I moved out of the United Kingdom,” he shared.
He also expressed that when dating Meghan, he became “increasingly troubled by the [royal family’s] approach of not taking action against the press in the wake of vicious persistent attacks on, harassment of and intrusive, sometimes racist articles concerning Meghan.” The family has an infamous “never complain, never explain” policy with the press.
The royal family made no comment on Harry’s witness remark or its claims. The relationship between Harry and Charles last got major media attention when Harry and Meghan’s rep confirmed Charles ordered them to vacate their UK home, Frogmore Cottage last month.
Royal reporter Omid Scobie reported for Yahoo! UK then that the couple was “left stunned” by Charles’ decision, per sources.
Senior News and Strategy Editor
Alyssa Bailey is the senior news and strategy editor at ELLE.com, where she oversees coverage of celebrities and royals (particularly Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton). She previously held positions at InStyle and Cosmopolitan. When she’s not working, she loves running around Central Park, making people take #ootd pics of her, and exploring New York City.